After the discovery of the river, few explorers came to the Lower Mississippi Valley. Because of this, over 140 years would pass before the idea of settlement would arise. The Mississippi River and its tributaries enabled the early explorers to enter what is now called St. Charles Parish.

 

I n 1682, Robert Cavalier, Sieur de LaSalle, a French fur trader and explorer who started his journey in Canada with his lieutenant, Henri de Tonti, traveled the entire length of the Mississippi River. As his expedition passed through present-day Hahnville, it was attacked by indigenous Quinapissa villagers. LaSalle went on to claim for France the Lower Mississippi Valley and called it La Louisiane (Louisiana) in honor of King Louis XIV. The Louisiana Territory, as it would be referred to, spanned more than half of the continent. It was a vast region that extended to the beginning of every river and stream whose waters flowed into the Mississippi River. Upon his return upriver, LaSalle presented the Quinapissa chief with a blue serge coat in honor of the special occasion. Tonti, on his return trip upriver, gave the chief a double glass bottle and left a letter for LaSalle when he returned. Several years later LaSalle returned, but failed in his attempts to colonize Louisiana.

 

Colonizing the Mississippi River Valley remained a priority for France as a result of LaSalle’s fellow explorers and other French entrepreneurs who believed the colony would enrich the crown in many ways. As a result, King Louis XIV authorized the settlement and establishment of a military outpost near the Mississippi to deter England’s interest in colonizing the Lower Valley and to take advantage of Spain’s concurrent military decline.

 

 

Hernando de Soto.    (Sketch by Janis Blair)

Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto discovered the Mississippi River about 1542. After de Soto’s death, Luis de Moscoso and the remaining men of his expedition traveled down the Mississippi passing through St. Charles Parish on their way to Mexico. They were perhaps the first Europeans to touch St. Charles Parish soil although others may have been here before them.

 

 
 

Robert Cavalier, the Sieur de La Salle. (Sketch by Janis Blair)

 

 

 

LaSalle and Tonti
are the first known
Europeans to set
foot upon the soil of
St. Charles Parish.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

< < Prev   Next > >

 

 

 

Explore...


 Images

Bustard’s Cove Historical Marker. Bustard’s Cove was the site of the first east bank settlement near present-day New Sarpy at the confluence of the Mississippi River and Bayou LeSeur. Flagville Historical Marker

> > See More


 Related Entries

media

Flaggville, Hahnville
In 1870, Judicial District Judge Othello Jerome Flagg, a Union soldier formally affiliated with...

 

Bustard’s Cove Historical Marker. Bustard’s Cove was the site of the first east bank settlement near present-day New Sarpy at the confluence of the Mississippi River and Bayou LeSeur.

Bustard's Cove
In 1722, hurricanes devastated the German Coast and many Germans considered leaving...

> > Related Entries



 

 

 

 

Copyright © This text is copyright material by Marilyn Richoux, Joan Becnel and Suzanne Friloux, from St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History, 2010.