Home Place Plantation
M any believe that Charles, the same free mulatto who built de Logny’s plantation (Destrehan), also built Home Place Plantation in present-day Hahnville in about 1791 for Pierre Gaillard. The Fortier family contends Home Place was built by their family after receiving a Spanish land grant. The ground floors still have imported Italian marble. As with many other plantations, indigenous material such as birch and cypress were used in construction of the house. It is described as a French Colonial raised cottage, is a National Historic Landmark, and is listed on the National Register. It is presently owned by descendants of the Keller family and others.
Copyright © This text is copyright material by Marilyn Richoux, Joan Becnel and Suzanne Friloux, from St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History, 2010.
Copyright © St. Charles Parish Museum and Historical Association
“Let us, before we die, gather our heritage and present it to our children.”