A fter almost 150 years of Catholic dominance, the emergence of Protestant churches on the German Coast began. New Catholic and Protestant churches continued to be established in the twentieth century.

1806—Original St. Charles Log Church in Destrehan burns and is replaced by
               wood-framed church painted red (Little Red Church).


1859—First Protestant church is organized on Old Spanish Trail.

1862—St. James Methodist Church is established in Hahnville.

1865—Bethlehem Baptist Church in Hahnville is founded by African American
               missionaries.


1866—L’Eglise Notre Dame du Rosaire (Our Lady of the Rosary) Chapel is
              established in Taft.


1866—Baptist Church, Killona, is established.

1895—Mount Airy Baptist Church of Boutte is established.

1897—St. Matthew Baptist Church, New Sarpy, is established.

18??—Mother Church of Catholic Church.

18??—Church St. Charles Borromeo, Desterhan.

 

 

 

     In 1887, forty arpents were added to the 1770 land grant donated to St. Charles Borromeo Church for religious purposes. The Church now held 617.68 acres. After the Louisiana Purchase in 1821, these lands were registered with the United States government. In 1890, the “Little Red Church,” built in 1806 on this land grant, entered a period of interdiction, losing pastoral support of the archbishop due to conflicts with the church charter and wardens. During this period, the parishioners worshipped at St. Charles Parish west bank and Kenner churches.

 

St. Matthew Baptist Church, New Sarpy, 1897. Used as school for colored
children. (Courtesy of Joseph Schexnayder) Old church on Rost (Destrehan) Plantation. Used as colored church and school. Bethlehem Baptist Church in Hahnville, 1865. Founded by African
American missionaries. L’Englise Notre Dame du Rosaire Catholic Chapel (Our Lady of the Holy Rosary) in Taft, 1866–1964. Only the cemetery remains. St. Gertrude the Great Catholic Mission Chapel
in Des Allemands, 1901. St. James Methodist Church in Hahnville, 1862. Land was donated by Governor Hahn to build a church. Church was also used as a school. St. Anthony of Padua Catholic
Mission Chapel in Luling, 1902. Paradis Presbyterian Church, 1914. Became St.
Andrew Episcopal Church in 1967. St. Mark Catholic Mission Chapel in Ama, built circa 1912. St. John the Baptist Church in Paradis. St. Isidore “The Farmer” Catholic Chapel in Montz,
1924. Destroyed by Hurricane Betsy in 1964. First Communion processional to St. Anthony
of Padua Catholic Church in Luling. 65
St. Isidore “The Farmer” Catholic Chapel in Montz,
1924. Destroyed by Hurricane Betsy in 1964.
St. John the Baptist Church in Paradis.
St. Anthony of Padua
Catholic Church in Luling,
1926. Currently owned
by the St. Charles Parish
School System.

 

< < Prev   Next > >

 

 

 

Explore...


 Images

The Mississippi River was the gathering place for many church baptisms L’Englise Notre Dame du Rosaire Catholic Chapel (Our Lady of the Holy Rosary) in Taft, 1866–1964. Only the cemetery remains.

> > See More


 Related Entries

The Mississippi River was the gathering place for many church baptisms

Other Religious Influences
The Mississippi River was the gathering place for many church…

 

Little Red Church

The Little Red Church – 1806
Tradition holds that the 1740 St. Charles log chapel was destroyed by fire in…

> > Related Entries


  External Links



 

 

 

 

 

 

Copyright © This text is copyright material by Marilyn Richoux, Joan Becnel and Suzanne Friloux, from St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History, 2010.

 


Cite this Entry

MLA Style

Becnel, Joan Weaver, Suzanne Friloux, and Marilyn Mayhall Richoux. "Exploration and Discovery
(1542-1647)." Museum. History of St. Charles . St. Charles Museum and Historical Association,
29 2012. Web. 30 Nov 2012. <http://museum.historyofstcharlesparish.org>.

APA Style

Becnel, Joan Weaver, Suzanne Friloux, and Marilyn Mayhall Richoux. "Exploration and Discovery
(1542-1647)." Museum. History of St. Charles . St. Charles Museum and Historical Association,
29 2012. Web. 30 Nov 2012. <http://museum.historyofstcharlesparish.org>.

Chicago Style

Becnel, Joan Weaver, Suzanne Friloux, and Marilyn Mayhall Richoux. "Exploration and Discovery
(1542-1647)." Museum. History of St. Charles . St. Charles Museum and Historical Association,
29 2012. Web. 30 Nov 2012. <http://museum.historyofstcharlesparish.org>.

*  These articles and more are taken from a book published by the authors entitled St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History.


 

 

Comments