St. Charles Parish in Spotlight

Return to St. Charles Parish in Spotlight  

Related Entries relating to "St. Charles Parish in Spotlight"

An aerial view of the Pan American/Amoco
Refinery in Destrehan.

Plantations to Petroleum - East Bank

"As the centuries changed, so did the landscape of St. Charles Parish. In colonial times, the German Coast was the breadbasket of the colony. The breadbasket continued through the prosperous Spanish era as it did during the plantation era, when the wealthy planters and their landholdings dominated the economy and politics. From the McCutcheons, Destrehans, Rosts, LaBranches, and Trépagniers to the Sellers and St. Amands, the power of land translated ..." Read More


Bunge Grain Elevator, Destrehan

Plantations to Petroleum - West Bank/East Bank Expansion

"As the 1950s rolled around, other economic engines were starting up. The Delta Match Corporation opened in St. Rose in 1952 on the old Frellson Plantation, and Lion Oil Company (Monsanto) construction began in 1952 in Luling on the old Ellington Plantation. Delta opened as the first large, wooden match manufacturing plant in the South, eventually becoming the largest of its kind in the world. In 1955, Shell Chemical opened..." Read More


 

Star Plantation

S tar Plantation on the River Road Louis Bourbon in
Taft was recognized in Grandeur of
the South, a publication of the
National Historical Society, as an archi-
tectural treasure of early America. Star
Plantation was owned by J. Levois of
Paris, France. Thomas Clark Porteous
was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, and
managed the plantation of the Levois
family. Porteous lived in New Orleans,
but frequently visited the parish to
make sure that all was well at the
Star Plantation. It was located near
the present intersection of La. 3142,
which is now occupied by the Dow
Chemical Company. The George Lorio
family later acquired the plantation.
It fell victim to the Hymelia Crevasse
in 1912.

George Lorio and family, later owners of Star Plantation.

 

 

 

 

< < Prev Next > >

 

 

 

Explore...


 Images

Hymelia water covers a cane field in Star Plantation. (Photo courtesy of the
George Lorio family)

> > See More


 Related Entries

An aerial view of the Pan American/Amoco
Refinery in Destrehan.

Plantations to Petroleum -
East Bank

As the centuries changed, so did the landscape of St. Charles…

 

Bunge Grain Elevator, Destrehan

Plantations to Petroleum - West Bank/East Bank Expansion
As the 1950s rolled around, other economic engines were starting…

> > Related Entries


  External Links



 

 

 

 

 

 

Copyright © This text is copyright material by Marilyn Richoux, Joan Becnel and Suzanne Friloux, from St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History, 2010.

 


Cite this Entry

MLA Style

Becnel, Joan Weaver, Suzanne Friloux, and Marilyn Mayhall Richoux. "Exploration and Discovery
(1542-1647)." Museum. History of St. Charles . St. Charles Museum and Historical Association,
29 2012. Web. 30 Nov 2012. <http://museum.historyofstcharlesparish.org>.

APA Style

Becnel, Joan Weaver, Suzanne Friloux, and Marilyn Mayhall Richoux. "Exploration and Discovery
(1542-1647)." Museum. History of St. Charles . St. Charles Museum and Historical Association,
29 2012. Web. 30 Nov 2012. <http://museum.historyofstcharlesparish.org>.

Chicago Style

Becnel, Joan Weaver, Suzanne Friloux, and Marilyn Mayhall Richoux. "Exploration and Discovery
(1542-1647)." Museum. History of St. Charles . St. Charles Museum and Historical Association,
29 2012. Web. 30 Nov 2012. <http://museum.historyofstcharlesparish.org>.

*  These articles and more are taken from a book published by the authors entitled St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History.


 

 

Comments

Category: St. Charles Parish in Spotlight