F rom The LaBranche Dependency House. all accounts LaBranche Plantation in St. Rose was one of the grandest on the German Coast. Along with Fashion Plantation, it was destroyed during the Civil War. All that remained was the Dependency House, also called a garconniere (French for bachelor quarters). Olidé and Marie Perilloux Cambre purchased Lionel Joseph Cambre the Dependency House and property in 1902. Pictured here in 1910 from right to left are Olidé Thomassin Cambre (father) (1872–1923), Marie Perilloux Cambre (mother), Lionel (son), Thomas Olidé (son), Marie Cambre Williams (daughter), Bernadette Millet (niece), Elvetia Cambre Gilbert (daughter), and Gretta Cambre Jacob (daughter). The Lentini family of Kenner purchased and restored the property in 1983. The Dependency House is significant because of its exceptional Federal woodwork and rarity as a dependency. It is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places. (Photos courtesy of Ronald Cambre)

 

 

< < Prev Next > >

 

 

 

Explore...


 Images

Family LaBranche Dependency House Fashion Plantation Historical Marker

> > See More


 Related Entries

Didier Sidney Zeringue

Descendants of Early Settlers
Almost one hundred years had passed since those first German settlers survived horrific…

 

Lieutenant General Richard Taylor, b.1826, d. 1879

Ordinance of Secession
St. Charles was one of twenty-nine parishes that supported secession on January 26, 1861…

> > Related Entries


  External Links



 

 

 

 

 

 

Copyright © This text is copyright material by Marilyn Richoux, Joan Becnel and Suzanne Friloux, from St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History, 2010.

 


Cite this Entry

MLA Style

Becnel, Joan Weaver, Suzanne Friloux, and Marilyn Mayhall Richoux. "Exploration and Discovery
(1542-1647)." Museum. History of St. Charles . St. Charles Museum and Historical Association,
29 2012. Web. 30 Nov 2012. <http://museum.historyofstcharlesparish.org>.

APA Style

Becnel, Joan Weaver, Suzanne Friloux, and Marilyn Mayhall Richoux. "Exploration and Discovery
(1542-1647)." Museum. History of St. Charles . St. Charles Museum and Historical Association,
29 2012. Web. 30 Nov 2012. <http://museum.historyofstcharlesparish.org>.

Chicago Style

Becnel, Joan Weaver, Suzanne Friloux, and Marilyn Mayhall Richoux. "Exploration and Discovery
(1542-1647)." Museum. History of St. Charles . St. Charles Museum and Historical Association,
29 2012. Web. 30 Nov 2012. <http://museum.historyofstcharlesparish.org>.

*  These articles and more are taken from a book published by the authors entitled St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History.


 

 

Comments