Bethlehem Benevolent Society

Return to Bethlehem Benevolent Society  

Related Entries relating to "Bethlehem Benevolent Society"

Flagville Historical Marker

Flaggville, Hahnville

"In 1870, Judicial District Judge Othello Jerome Flagg, a Union soldier formally affiliated with the Freedmen’s Bureau, purchased five arpents of land adjacent to the area called the courthouse site. In 1872, Civil Engineer Thomas Sharpe surveyed and with Flagg developed the Village of Flaggville. The Flaggville Colored School, which continued until..." Read More


 

In 1996, the Bethlehem Benevolent Society Hall is
shown on its journey to the West Bank Bridge Park
on River Road in Luling to be used as the St. Charles
Parish Tourist Information Center. (Photo courtesy of
St. Charles Department of Economic Development and
Tourism)

T he Bethlehem Benevolent Society was incorporated in 1881. It was an example of one of the many benevolent societies for St. Charles Parish Negroes. These fraternal organizations provided medicine, paid doctor bills, purchased food and apparel for those in need, and helped to bury their dead. Each society purchased enough property to

accommodate a hall and a cemetery. The property for the Bethlehem Society was purchased in 1900 from O. J. Flagg in Hahnville (formerly Flaggville).

     Other groups were St. Mary Society of Luling, the Swampers of Boutte, and the Elizabeth Tabernacle Society of St. Rose. The halls were used for schools, meetings, church gatherings, suppers, weddings, and receptions.

Bethlehem Benevolent Society Hall now serves as
the St. Charles Parish Tourist Information Center.
(Photo courtesy of St. Charles Department of
Economic Development and Tourism)

 

Conveyance Records, St. Charles Parish.

 

 

 

< < Prev Next > >

 

 

 

Explore...


 Related Entries

Flagville Historical Marker

Flaggville, Hahnville
In 1870, Judicial District Judge Othello Jerome Flagg, a Union soldier formally affiliated …

> > Related Entries


  External Links



 

 

 

 

 

 

Copyright © This text is copyright material by Marilyn Richoux, Joan Becnel and Suzanne Friloux, from St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History, 2010.

 


Cite this Entry

MLA Style

Becnel, Joan Weaver, Suzanne Friloux, and Marilyn Mayhall Richoux. "Exploration and Discovery
(1542-1647)." Museum. History of St. Charles . St. Charles Museum and Historical Association,
29 2012. Web. 30 Nov 2012. <http://museum.historyofstcharlesparish.org>.

APA Style

Becnel, Joan Weaver, Suzanne Friloux, and Marilyn Mayhall Richoux. "Exploration and Discovery
(1542-1647)." Museum. History of St. Charles . St. Charles Museum and Historical Association,
29 2012. Web. 30 Nov 2012. <http://museum.historyofstcharlesparish.org>.

Chicago Style

Becnel, Joan Weaver, Suzanne Friloux, and Marilyn Mayhall Richoux. "Exploration and Discovery
(1542-1647)." Museum. History of St. Charles . St. Charles Museum and Historical Association,
29 2012. Web. 30 Nov 2012. <http://museum.historyofstcharlesparish.org>.

*  These articles and more are taken from a book published by the authors entitled St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History.


 

 

Comments

Category: Bethlehem Benevolent Society