Flaggville, Hahnville

Return to Flaggville, Hahnville  

Related Entries relating to "Flaggville, Hahnville"

Major Parish Skirmishes

Major Parish Skirmishes

"Three Major Skirmishes Took Place in St. Charles Parish: HAHNVILLE COURTHOUSE: On August 29, 1862, Union troops marched from Boutte to the courthouse to camp for the night. The next day they encountered troops delivering cattle to feed Confederate soldiers. A battle ensued and the Union forces prevailed,..."

Read More


Judge Pierre Adolphe Rost, b. 1797 in France,d. 1868, married Louise Odile Destrehan. He
was a plantation owner, state senator, Louisiana Supreme Court Justice, and Confederate
ambassador to Spain. He is interred at St. Charles Cemetery. (Photo courtesy of
Destrehan Plantation)

Rost Home Colony

"In March of 1865, Congress created the Federal Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands, most often referred to as Freedmen’s Bureau, a quasi-military organization charged with aiding the newly freed slaves with financial, educational, social, and political matters, tasking them to help those freed to adjust to their new lives. In Louisiana, four “home colonies” were created as self-sustaining agricultural collectives that also provided schools, commercial stores, and a..." Read More


Georg Michael Hahn

Governor Georg Michael Hahn

"Louisiana’s Constitution of 1864" …“drawn under Georg Michael Hahn’s active direction …Not only abolished slavery and provided for the eventual enfranchisement of blacks … opened the public schools to every child, black and white between the ages of six and eighteen; provided for a progressive income tax; established a minimum wage and a nine hour workday … Louisiana has not had so many honest, highly principled..." Read More


Historical Settlements

Historical Settlements

"Allemands- Named for the Germans, became Des Allemands; Ama—Named for the daughter of Alice Plantation owner means “to love” in Greek); Bayou Gauche-Gauche means left or left- handed. Bayou Gauche is the left and smaller fork of Bayou des Allemands; Boutte-Named for Tisaphane Boutte and his son, J. L. ..." Read More


In 1996, the Bethlehem Benevolent Society Hall is shown on its journey to the West Bank Bridge Park
on River Road in Luling to be used as the St. Charles Parish Tourist Information Center. (Photo courtesy of St. Charles Department of Economic Development and Tourism)

Bethlehem Benevolent Society

"The Bethlehem Benevolent Society was incorporated in 1881. It was an example of one of the many benevolent societies for St. Charles Parish Negroes. These fraternal organizations provided medicine, paid doctor bills, purchased food and apparel for those in need, and helped to bury their dead. Each society purchased enough property..." Read More


 

Settlement of Flaggville, drawn by Othello J. Flagg.

 

1870 St. Charles Parish
Federal Census Extract. This census entry contradicts a long-standing belief regarding
Flagg’s race.

I n 1870, Judicial District Judge Othello Jerome Flagg, a Union soldier formally affiliated with the Freedmen’s Bureau, purchased five arpents of land adjacent to the area called the courthouse site. In 1872, Civil Engineer Thomas Sharpe surveyed and with Flagg developed the Village of Flaggville. The Flaggville Colored School, which continued until the end of the nineteenth century, was the last remnant of the town’s name.

     In 1872, former Louisiana Governor Georg Michael Hahn retired to his sugar plantation in St. Charles Parish and established the Village of Hahnville less than three miles upriver of the courthouse area. The village included a street layout and upgraded levee. Hahn built a concert hall, started a parish newspaper, and built stores of every variety. The Village of Hahnville soon became a bustling country town. The following are some of the businesses: Kraemer Furniture Manufacturing, Gordon’s Saddle and Harness Maker, Peperkorn’s Boat Building, Attorney-At-Law F. B. Earhart, Hunzleman’s Grocery, Schneider’s Cisterns, Fox the Village Blacksmith, Moffit Groceries and Dry Goods, Boot and Shoemaker Joseph Stein, Henry Aichel Tin Gutters, Manade Cigar Manufacturing, Jacob Banzhaf Hahnville Golden Star Store, Chapsky’s “Red” Store, Almstedt Cabinet and Furniture Making, and Antz Creole Store.

Flaggville Historical
Marker.

     Records in years thereafter indicate that Fortier Plantation (now Home Place), the courthouse area (the parish seat), the United States Post Office, and the Village of Flaggville were apparently “annexed” into the Village of Hahnville.

     Perhaps the influential Governor Hahn, reportedly “in control of the Parish,” was able to cement his name and legacy in Louisiana history by giving the parish seat his name.

Plot map of Hahnville in 1877 showing some original
street names. (Courtesy of Henry E. Yoes III)

 

 

< < Prev Next > >

 

 

 

Explore...


 Images

Gov. Michael Hahn Flaggville Historical Marker.

> > See More


 Related Entries

Georg Michael Hahn

Governor Georg Michael Hahn
"Louisiana’s Constitution of 1864"…“drawn under Georg Michael Hahn’s active direction…

 

Historical Settlements

Historical Settlements
Allemands- Named for the Germans, became Des Allemands; Ama—Named for the daughter of…

> > Related Entries


  External Links



 

 

 

 

 

 

Copyright © This text is copyright material by Marilyn Richoux, Joan Becnel and Suzanne Friloux, from St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History, 2010.

 


Cite this Entry

MLA Style

Becnel, Joan Weaver, Suzanne Friloux, and Marilyn Mayhall Richoux. "Exploration and Discovery
(1542-1647)." Museum. History of St. Charles . St. Charles Museum and Historical Association,
29 2012. Web. 30 Nov 2012. <http://museum.historyofstcharlesparish.org>.

APA Style

Becnel, Joan Weaver, Suzanne Friloux, and Marilyn Mayhall Richoux. "Exploration and Discovery
(1542-1647)." Museum. History of St. Charles . St. Charles Museum and Historical Association,
29 2012. Web. 30 Nov 2012. <http://museum.historyofstcharlesparish.org>.

Chicago Style

Becnel, Joan Weaver, Suzanne Friloux, and Marilyn Mayhall Richoux. "Exploration and Discovery
(1542-1647)." Museum. History of St. Charles . St. Charles Museum and Historical Association,
29 2012. Web. 30 Nov 2012. <http://museum.historyofstcharlesparish.org>.

*  These articles and more are taken from a book published by the authors entitled St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History.


 

 

Comments

Category: Flaggville, Hahnville