P ress release of the Morning Star and Catholic Messenger, June 1877 regarding the Little Red Church Rectory Fire:

“In 1877, an arsonist set fire to the Presbytery (rectory) of the Little Red Church. It burned to the ground and 150 years of church records were destroyed. The original register from 1739 to 1755 is the only book that survived the fire. Churchwardens continued to collect revenues from farm acreage and to manage the property. Over 40 years would pass before a new rectory would be built. After the fire, the Red Church pastor resided on the west bank in Taft and continued to serve his parishioners from that location.” Clippings presented are from the Morning Star and Catholic Messenger.

Press release of the Morning Star and Catholic Messenger, June 1877

 

Front Elevation by Father Paret

 

 

Red Church Presbytery

 

 

 

 

< < Prev Next > >

 

 

 

Explore...


 Images

Red Church, March 20, 1859  Little Red Church Historical Marker

> > See More


 Related Entries

The 1740 chapel

Little Red Church
Little Red Church, built in 1806, has been standing now on the 1770 Spanish land…

 

Painting of the Red Church by Fr.Paret

Fr. Paret’s Watercolors & Journal – 1859
At the time of discovery of the Paret watercolors, in a proposal…

> > Related Entries


  External Links



 

 

 

 

 

 

Copyright © This text is copyright material by Marilyn Richoux, Joan Becnel and Suzanne Friloux, from St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History, 2010.

 


Cite this Entry

MLA Style

Becnel, Joan Weaver, Suzanne Friloux, and Marilyn Mayhall Richoux. "Exploration and Discovery
(1542-1647)." Museum. History of St. Charles . St. Charles Museum and Historical Association,
29 2012. Web. 30 Nov 2012. <http://museum.historyofstcharlesparish.org>.

APA Style

Becnel, Joan Weaver, Suzanne Friloux, and Marilyn Mayhall Richoux. "Exploration and Discovery
(1542-1647)." Museum. History of St. Charles . St. Charles Museum and Historical Association,
29 2012. Web. 30 Nov 2012. <http://museum.historyofstcharlesparish.org>.

Chicago Style

Becnel, Joan Weaver, Suzanne Friloux, and Marilyn Mayhall Richoux. "Exploration and Discovery
(1542-1647)." Museum. History of St. Charles . St. Charles Museum and Historical Association,
29 2012. Web. 30 Nov 2012. <http://museum.historyofstcharlesparish.org>.

*  These articles and more are taken from a book published by the authors entitled St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History.


 

 

Comments