Spanish Influence

  Return to Spanish Influence  

Related Entries relating to "Spanish Influence"

The 1723 chapel found in the second old village, Le deuxieme ancient village, about one-half mile from the Mississippi River, which neighbored the first village. (Sketch by Janis Blair)

The Catholic Church

"In 1723, La Paroisse de St. Jean des Allemands Catholic Church was established at Karlstein. The earlier German Coast settlers worshiped in New Orleans in an old abandoned warehouse that served as the predecessor to St. Louis Cathedral (Church Records of 1720–30). The 1724 census reveals that a chapel had been constructed in a village on the German Coast, which, it appears, could have been there for several years prior to the census. This chapel has been described as..." Read More


St. Rose School. (Source: The Refinery, the Destrehan High School Yearbook, 1927)

Public Education

"With the arrival of the petroleum industry in the early 1900s, a major shift took place in the public school district. These major industries would not only begin to provide tax revenues which would help to bolster public education, but would also promote better schooling for their employees’ children. Because of their keen awareness of the importance of education, schools were established on some of the industry sites. Mexican ..." Read More


 

J oaquin Joaquin Crespo, having “behaved as a man of good moral character,
attached to the constitution of the United States, and well disposed to
the good order and happiness of the same…” is sworn in as a citizen
of the United States. The document was signed in 1896 by Crespo;
Judge Rost, owner of Rost Plantation; and Clerk of Court John B.
Martin. (Photo courtesy of Billy and Sidney Crespo)Crespo arrived in New Orleans from Spain via Ellis Island in 1872. He worked at odd jobs and saved his money. On his travels along the muddy River Road on the east bank he was taken with a parcel of land in the present day St. Rose area. Joaquin purchased the parcel and built his home, which became Crespo Plantation. He married Elmire Becnel and they had a son and daughter. Joaquin was unable to speak English well and consequently, his son Sidney assisted in ordering lumber from the Lutcher Moore Lumber Company. After Elmire’s death, Joaquin married Malvina Songy and they had eight children. A devout Catholic, Joaquin constructed a chapel on his property and asked a priest from Kenner to conduct services. He donated a flock of sheep to the St. Charles Church (Little Red Church) to help control the growth of grass and weeds. Joaquin also donated land for the first St. Rose School for whites and the first colored school in Free Town (St. Rose). St. Charles Parish named the street alongside of the St. Rose School Crespo Avenue in honor of Joaquin Crespo. He overcame very modest beginnings to become a successful sugar cane planter on the Mississippi River.

Crespo Plantation once occupied the present
site of IMTT on River Road in St. Rose. Owner
Joaquin Joseph Crespo (hand on hip) is pictured
with family and friends. (Photo courtesy of Billy
and Sidney Crespo)

     International Matex Tank Terminals (IMTT) now owns the property where Crespo Plantation once stood. Two rows of pecan trees are still visible and considered by some family members to be those that once lined the road leading to the main house.

 

Joaquin Joseph Crespo, b. 1854—d.1916, and Malvina Songy Crespo, b. 1868—d.1914, are interred in the St. Charles Borromeo Cemetery. (Photos courtesy of Billy and Sidney Crespo)

 

Other Spanish names in St. Charles Parish included Lopez, Acosta, Gonzales, Rodrigue, Truxillo, Morales, Medina, Cortez, Sanchez, Torres, and Perez.

 

 

< < Prev Next > >

 

 

 

Explore...


 Images

Sheep Judge Pierre Adolphe Rost

> > See More


 Related Entries

The 1740 chapel, named “St. Charles,” was built in the area now known as Destrehan. (Sketch by Janis Blair)

St. Charles Church
Tradition says that in 1740, that first little chapel, St. Jean des Allemands Catholic Church…

 

St. Rose School

Public Education
With the arrival of the petroleum industry in the early 1900s, a major shift took place…

> > Related Entries


  External Links



 

 

 

 

 

 

Copyright © This text is copyright material by Marilyn Richoux, Joan Becnel and Suzanne Friloux, from St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History, 2010.

 


Cite this Entry

MLA Style

Becnel, Joan Weaver, Suzanne Friloux, and Marilyn Mayhall Richoux. "Exploration and Discovery
(1542-1647)." Museum. History of St. Charles . St. Charles Museum and Historical Association,
29 2012. Web. 30 Nov 2012. <http://museum.historyofstcharlesparish.org>.

APA Style

Becnel, Joan Weaver, Suzanne Friloux, and Marilyn Mayhall Richoux. "Exploration and Discovery
(1542-1647)." Museum. History of St. Charles . St. Charles Museum and Historical Association,
29 2012. Web. 30 Nov 2012. <http://museum.historyofstcharlesparish.org>.

Chicago Style

Becnel, Joan Weaver, Suzanne Friloux, and Marilyn Mayhall Richoux. "Exploration and Discovery
(1542-1647)." Museum. History of St. Charles . St. Charles Museum and Historical Association,
29 2012. Web. 30 Nov 2012. <http://museum.historyofstcharlesparish.org>.

*  These articles and more are taken from a book published by the authors entitled St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History.


 

 

Comments

Category: Spanish Influence