I n 1930, during the tenure of Superintendent J. B. Martin, the passage of a bond election provided the funds to build or expand public schools across the parish.

Allemands Elementary School, 1931–74. (Photo
courtesy of Mrs. Stanley Dufrene)

 

 

Norco Primary School on Apple Street, circa 1930s. Were these
students awaiting the arrival of Franklin D. Roosevelt on his way to
the spillway in 1937? Perhaps the WWL station wagon was there for
the same reason. This photo remains a mystery.

 

 

 J. B. Martin, superintendent of St. Charles Parish
Public Schools from 1913 to 1944, is called “the
Father of St. Charles Parish Schools.”  (Source: Times Picayune newspaper)

 

 

Raymond K. Smith

Raymond K. Smith, teacher, principal, supervisor of colored schools, and assistant superintendent of schools, was keenly aware of the value of education and did all he could to see that the students under his care had what was necessary for them to succeed. For his contribution to education, the Raymond K. Smith Middle School in Luling opened in 2006 and was dedicated in his honor.

 

 

Pictured in 1924, Allemands Elementary was moved down the bayou and back up to Des
Allemands. It was later converted to an American Legion Home. (Photo courtesy of Mrs.
Stanley Dufrene)

 

 

The Fashion School in Hahnville. (Photo courtesy of Patrick Yoes)

 

 

The Good Hope School was one of nine opened following the 1930 bond election.

 

 

Mr. Albert Cammon

Mr. Albert Cammon was a hero in the battle for fair education for all. Although not an educator himself, he nonetheless promoted education as a valuable commodity. His efforts brought about the opening of a high school for black students on the east bank, Bethune High School. Albert Cammon Middle School in St. Rose was named in his honor. The painting shown hangs in the school. (The artist is unknown; used with the school’s permission.)

 

 

Gloria Robottom Cureau

Gloria Robottom Cureau, pictured in 1939, was the principal of Hahnville Colored School and the daughter of Henry Robottom, whose family ran the first mortuary in St. Charles Parish. She was one of several people selected by J. B. Martin to assist in the development of a school system. She was a devout Catholic but attended schools in black Protestant churches until the school system provided buildings.
In 1939 Gloria and her brother Harry Robottom headed Hahnville
Colored School.

 

 

Harry Madison “Prof” Hurst arrived at
Destrehan High in 1930 and remained for thirtysix
years. He served as a teacher and coach
before being appointed principal. Mr. Hurst is
remembered as a quiet, dignified gentleman.
A school named in his honor, Harry M. Hurst
Middle School, is located on the site of the
original Destrehan High School—his workplace
and his home for so many years.

 

 

Eual J. “Teeny” Landry, Sr.

Eual J. “Teeny” Landry, Sr., teacher and principal at Hahnville High School, was recognized as an innovator who produced positive results and advancements in education during his forty-five years of service . His use of motion pictures as teaching tools was considered progressive and ahead of its time. He served in the military in World War II, was elected parish delegate for the 1974 Louisiana Constitutional Convention, appointed a member of the 1976 Home Rule Charter Commission, and appointed a member of the St. Charles Parish Police Jury for several years. Eual J. Landry, Sr. Middle School in Hahnville was named to honor his achievements. (Source: Times Picayune newspaper)

 

 

Ethel Schoeffner

Ethel Schoeffner, teacher and principal at St. Charles Parish Public Schools from 1917 to 1965, set the standard for exemplary primary schools. She cared for her students on both a professional and personal level. Her years of outstanding service were acknowledged by the naming of an elementary school in her honor. She was the first female educator so recognized.

 

 

Ama School students prepare to raise the flag,
circa 1940s. (Photo courtesy of Ernestine Kappel)

 

 

A school stage curtain, circa 1940s, reflects
community business and industry support for
education through the purchase of advertisements.

 

 

St. Charles Parish in song, from Ralph D. St. Ament’s student notebook, 1939.

St. Charles Parish in song, from Ralph D. St. Ament’s student notebook, 1939.

St. Charles Parish in song, from Ralph D. St. Ament’s student notebook, 1939.

 

 

 

< < Prev Next > >

 

 

 

Explore...


 Images

JB Martin A school stage curtain, circa 1940s, reflects community business and industry support for education through the purchase of advertisements.

> > See More


 Related Entries

Hahnville High School in 2010

New Schools
Two new public high schools opened in 1976…

 

Parish officials, circa 1890

Public Education
The LeMoyne brothers, Iberville and Bienville, were timeless advocates of schools…

> > Related Entries


 Media

VIDEO

School Days - St. Charles Parish

> > See More



 

 

 

 

 

 

Copyright © This text is copyright material by Marilyn Richoux, Joan Becnel and Suzanne Friloux, from St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History, 2010.