Health Services Then and Now
L ouisiana has one of the oldest healthcare systems in the nation. Early government records in St. Charles Parish reveal the health of the residents of the community was a primary concern for officials. But twentieth-century officials brought healthcare to a new level. In 1959, St. Charles Parish Hospital opened its doors to the community. In 1961, the following evaluation of the health and medical conditions in the parish was presented in a parish-sponsored document published by the St. Charles Parish Development Board: “St. Charles Parish is a healthful parish, due in a large part to the immunization practices that have been instituted. Flood control and greatly improved sanitation have helped to win the fight against communicable diseases. This fight was led by the Parish Health Unit. Today there is a modern general hospital on the west bank and several well equipped clinics located in the parish. Ambulance service is available, as is good ferry service to reach the general hospital. Eleven doctors and six dentists have greatly improved the medical situation reducing the need for going to New Orleans.” The hospital became readily available to all residents with the opening of the Hale Boggs Bridge. In 1998, an east bank medical office building was opened by the hospital, and in 2010, a state-of-the-art hospital acute care facility in Luling offers a broad spectrum of medical services.
Copyright © This text is copyright material by Marilyn Richoux, Joan Becnel and Suzanne Friloux, from St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History, 2010.
Copyright © St. Charles Parish Museum and Historical Association
“Let us, before we die, gather our heritage and present it to our children.”