Articles

Allemands: Germans

anse: Cove

arpent: Old French measurement of land; slightly less than one acre

Blessed Sacrament: Consecrated host (bread) received by Christians as the body of Jesus

bonnet carré: English for square bonnet

broadsides: Posters

Cannes Brulee: Burnt reeds or cane; area covering Tchopitoulous Coast to St. Charles Parish boundary

carpetbagger: Person from the North who traveled to the South following the Civil War to seek political and/or financial gain

circa: About; in approximate dates

circular order: An instruction of a highest federation or land authority.

Code Noir: Set of Louisiana laws governing the conduct of slaves

colony: A settlement far away from the country which governs it

commandant: Person in charge of a colonial government entity

Compagne des Indies: Originally led by John Law, this company had a twenty-five year management contract and trade monopoly with France to establish the Louisiana Colony.

concession: Large tract of land used for agricultural purposes to feed the colony

concessionaires: Citizens awarded government grants

cote: French word for coast

crevasse: French for deep crack or crevice, as in a levee

delta: Triangle-shaped area of land at the mouth of a river

demonstration library: Pilot program for the library system

diocese: Church territory under the jurisdiction of a bishop

ecclesiastical: Of the church or clergy

El Puerto des Alemanes: Spanish for the “coast of the Germans”

engages: settlers to farm the land for the concessionaires (legally between free men and slaves)

German Coast: Area today referred to as the Parishes of St. Charles and St. John the Baptist; settled by the Germans home rule: Local form of government

indigenous: Occurring naturally in an area

integration (school): Various parts of the system made into one

interdiction: Punishment by which the faithful remaining in communion with the Church are forbidden certain sacraments or prohibited from performing certain sacred acts 

L’anse aux Outardes: Cove of the bustards; site of the first east bank settlement in New Sarpy.

land grant: Piece of land granted to an individual or group by the government

Le premier ancien village allemand: First old German village

Les Deaux Freres: Name of German pest ship, translates to “two brothers;” first ship to arrive in Biloxi with Germans in 1721

levees: Dike used to restrain Mississippi River from spreading over the land during high water seasons

Little Red Church: 1860 frame church painted red which became a landmark on the east bank of the Mississippi

Mississippi Bubble: General reference to John Law’s Company of the Indies’ financial plan for reviving the French economy through his new world Mississippi company. So called because it continued to grow in size.

monstrance: Church vessel used for displaying the consecrated host

mulatto: Person of black and white ancestry

ouragan: Hurricane

parish: Division of local government similar to county; was derived from the French “paroisse” and the Spanish “parroquia;” the ecclesiastical division under the charge of a curate

pest ship: Ship filled with disease and unbearable conditions, which delivered the Germans to the Biloxi shores

police jury: Form of local government since after the Louisiana Purchase

port: City with a harbor where ships can anchor

Portefaix: Ship which carried Karl Fredrick Darensbourg to shores of Old Biloxi

progenitor: Originator of a line of descent

Reconstruction: Period after Civil War during which the government was rebuilt

scalawags: Southerners who supported the federal plan of reconstruction

secession: Withdrawal from an organization, group, or union

Sieur: Old French title of rank or respect; sir

“Troop of Horse:” Military unit’s name during the War of 1812

Union forces: Forces from the North

Category: Overview