Allemands

Named for the Germans, became Des Allemands

*Ama—

Named for the daughter of Alice Plantation owner
(means “to love” in Greek).

*Bayou Gauche

Gauche means left or left- handed. Bayou Gauche is the
left and smaller fork of Bayou des Allemands.

*Boutte

Named for Tisaphane Boutte and his son, J. L.

*Des Allemands

French name for the Germans; was Allemands

*Destrehan

Named for the Destrehan family

Elkinsville

Named for Palmer Elkins; became a part of St. Rose

Flaggville

Named for Orthello Flagg; became a part of Hahnville

Good Hope

Named for Good Hope Plantation (included an area
known as “The Island”); became a part of Norco in 2000

*Hahnville

Named for Georg Michael Hahn

*Killona

Gaelic for Church of St. John
(named by Richard Millikin from Ireland).

LaBranche

named for the LaBranche family (it was located on the shores
of Lake Pontchartrain and destroyed by a hurricane in 1915).

 

*Luling

Named for Florenz A. Luling

Moberly

Named for the Cumberland-Moberly Lumber Company in Taft

Modoc

Named for Modoc Plantation; now a part of Destrehan

*Montz

Named for the Manz (Montz) family

*Mozella

Named for Mozella Plantation

*New Sarpy

Named for Leon Sarpy; site of second Sarpy Plantation

*Norco

Acronym for New Orleans Refining Company
(formerly Sellers and Diamond; also included
an area known as Wesco)

*Paradis

Named by developer and railroad builder Eduardo Paradis

Sarpy

Named for Leon Sarpy; became Sellers then Norco

Sellers

Named for Colonel Thomas Sellers; became Norco

*Taft

Named for lumber baron Charles Taft,
President William Howard Taft’s brother.

*St. Rose

Named for St. Rose Plantation

 

*Settlements remaining in the twenty-first century