Image Gallery

Click on the thumbnails to see larger slides of the related Images below.

Evelyn Gassen
19_p45_LittleRedChurch_20_p134
19_p63_Old church on Destrehan Plantation
19_p62_background-img-red-church
DSC 0278 LittleRedChurchAAA web
20th Century Page 0163 Image 0003
Commerce along River rd
St. Chalres Parish Courthouse in 1826.

Return to Early Roadways and Commerce  

Articles Related to "Early Roadways and Commerce" Image Gallery

 
The courthouse in 1826.

1826 Courthouse

The parish seat of government has probably been at its same location in Hahnville since the establishment of the first courthouse in the early 1800s, although no written or pictorial information on that first location has yet been discovered or translated. An 1826 picture of what is... Read More


Tradition holds that the 1740 St. Charles log chapel was
destroyed by fire in 1806 and rebuilt the same year. It was replaced by a wood-framed structure and painted red. The
“Little Red Church” became a famous landmark for river
travelers. Passengers going downriver were relieved to see
the Red Church because it meant New Orleans was only
twenty-five miles away.

The Little Red Church – 1806

Tradition holds that the 1740 St. Charles log chapel was destroyed by fire in 1806 and rebuilt the same year. It was replaced by a wood-framed structure and painted red. The “Little Red Church” became a famous landmark for river travelers. Passengers going downriver were... Read More