Image Gallery

Click on the thumbnails to see larger slides of the related Images below.

20th Century Page 0151 Image 0003
20th Century Page 0158 Image 0004
20_p139_ Hahnville High School 1924
20_p139_Destrehan High School 1924
20_p179_Hahnville High School 2010
20_p179_Destrehan High School 2010
20th Century Page 0122 Image 0001

Return to Education Update  

Articles Related to "Education Update" Image Gallery

 
Mr. Albert Cammon was a hero in the battle for fair education for all. Although not an
educator himself, he nonetheless promoted education as a valuable commodity. His
efforts brought about the opening of a high school for black students on
the east bank, Bethune High School. Albert Cammon Middle School in St. Rose was named in his honor. The painting shown hangs in the
school. (The artist is unknown; used with the school’s permission.)

Education Expansion

In 1930, during the tenure of Superintendent J. B. Martin, the passage of a bond election provided the funds to build or expand public schools across the parish. Raymond K. Smith, teacher, principal, supervisor of colored schools, and assistant superintendent ..... Read More


Hahnville High School in 2010.

New Schools

Two new public high schools opened in 1976: Destrehan High School in Destrehan and Hahnville High School in Mozella. They continue to serve students at the same sites in 2010. Both schools offer advanced studies programs, as well as art and music. They... Read More


The Hahnville High School in 1924. The parish courthouse is in the background.

Public Education

With the arrival of the petroleum industry in the early 1900s, a major shift took place in the public school district. These major industries would not only begin to provide tax revenues which would help to bolster public education, but would also promote better... Read More


The school for African American students was located at Pan American Petroleum. Negro schools began in churches or other dwellings. This church, on the Pan American Oil Refinery at Destrehan, served as a school for black children whose parents worked at the refinery. John Smith, a member of the St.Charles Parish School Board since 1991, attended his first education classes in this building. Smith is currently a retired deputy superintendent of schools in Orleans Parish. (Photo courtesy of the Louisiana Library, Works Progress Administration Program.)

Plantations to Petroleum - East Bank

As the centuries changed, so did the landscape of St. Charles Parish. In colonial times, the German Coast was the breadbasket of the colony. The breadbasket continued through the prosperous Spanish era as it did during the plantation era, when the.... Read More


The first black school band in St. Charles Parish, circa 1951. Some musicians reached a higher level of proficiency. (Photo courtesy of Carolyn S. Boyd)

Musical Legends

Music has always been a part of everyday life in St. Charles Parish. From within the home to within the community and beyond, the ability to play a musical instrument or perform with a singing group has received high praise. For some... Read More