Image Gallery

Click on the thumbnails to see larger slides of the related Images below.

Historical Reprint
Sellers Family
Diamond Plantation
20th Century Page 0143 Image 0001
20th Century Page 0176 Image 0001
20th Century Page 0176 Image 0002
20th Century Page 0176 Image 0004
20th Century Page 0176 Image 0003

Return to Plantations to Petroleum - West Bank/East Bank Expansion  

Articles Related to "Plantations to Petroleum - W. Bank/E. Bank Expansion" Image Gallery

 
The Trépagnier Plantation, which later became Myrtleland, was built by Francois Trépagnier. Myrtleland Plantation was sold to Thomas Sellers in 1876 and the area (present-day Norco) became known as Sellers. The Bonnet Carré Crevasse of 1882 brought about the end of the flourishing plantation but the house remained intact. Sellers and neighboring upriver Roseland Plantations
were consolidated to form Diamond Plantation, which was later sold to Leon Godchaux in 1897. (Sketch courtesy of William E. Riecke, Jr., 1973)

Diamond Plantation

While he was still a young man working on the Mississippi River, Thomas Sellers met Samuel B. Clemens, who later became the famous writer Mark Twain. Sellers and Clemens shared a warm, long-lasting friendship. Sellers adopted the title “Colonel” from one... Read More


Ellington Plantation was also called Witherspoon. Francis Mayronne commissioned Charles Gallier 
to design the Classical Revival house, which was built in the late 1850s in present-day Luling at the River Road Monsanto Park site. Florenz Albrect 
Luling, for whom the town of Luling was named, (formerly known as St. Denis, named by a Civil War railroad owner; when the Acadians arrived in the area it became popularly known as “Cajun  Town”), purchased the plantation on August 6, 1868. Luling sold Ellington Plantation on May 1, 1882, and a 
succession of owners followed. It was purchased in 1952 by the Lion Oil Company, which later became Monsanto. The main house was demolished in the
early 1960s. Some of the smaller houses from the plantation were moved from the site to Sugarhouse Road and remain in place today. Top photo shows the front elevation with the bottom photo showing the back of the plantation house. (Photo courtesy of JoAnn and Kearney Mongrue)

Rise of Plantations

Mozella Plantation—Hicks Lewis Youngs and brother Elias moved to the German Coast from New York City in 1851. The Youngs brothers acquired Joseph Marioneau’s property through a series of buyouts and established a sugar and cotton plantation, which... Read More


Bunge Grain Elevator, Destrehan.

Bunge

The Bunge Grain Elevator in Destrehan (Modoc) was rocked by two explosions on a quiet Sunday evening in September of 1970. The grain industry, which had been seen as a redeeming force in the parish’s economy in the early 1960s following the closing of the... Read More


Star Plantation.

St. Charles Parish in Spotlight

Star Plantation on the River Road in Taft was recognized in Grandeur of the South, a publication of the National Historical Society, as an architectural treasure of early America. Star Plantation was owned by J. Levois of Paris, France. Thomas Clark Porteous was born in Edinburgh... Read More


A look at the Waterford III site formerly the Waterford Sugar Cooperative located on the west bank at Killora. (Photo courtesy of Carol Ford)

Nuclear Power

Sugar cane production has been a constant presence in the parish since the 1700s. Although it continues on a limited basis in 2010, some of the prime land originally used for sugar cane crops became the site of homes, businesses, and industries in later... Read More