Image Gallery

Click on the thumbnails to see larger slides of the related Images below.

18_p26_1723-Chapel
20th Century Page 0145 Image 0003
Little Red Church Painting
Little Red Church
1740 Chapel
Map of German Coast Settlements
18_p37_Jean-Noel-Destrehan-deBeaupre
19_p44_Jean-Noel-Destrehan

Return to The Catholic Church  

Articles Related to "The Catholic Church" Image Gallery

 
Map of German Coast Settlements, illustration from book Germans of Louisiana

Karl Fredrick Darensbourg

aptain Karl Fredrick Darensbourg, a German-speaking Swedish soldier, left France on the Portefaix on March 7, 1721, bringing with him three hundred German-speaking Swiss and Alsatian colonists bound for Louisiana from the Alsace-Lorraine area... Read More


The 1740 chapel, named “St. Charles,” was built in the area now known as Destrehan. (Sketch by Janis Blair)

St. Charles Church

Tradition says that in 1740, that first little chapel, St. Jean des Allemands Catholic Church at Karlstein (on what later would be referred to as Trinity Plantation in Taft), was replaced by a crude log cabin on the east bank and named St. Charles. Read More


Little Red Church

The Little Red Church – 1806

Tradition holds that the 1740 St. Charles log chapel was destroyed by fire in 1806 and rebuilt the same year. It was replaced by a wood-framed structure and painted red. The “Little Red Church” became a famous landmark for river travelers. Passengers going downriver were relieved to see... Read More


The Little Red Church on the River by Clarence Millet, 1940 (Courtesy of The Historic New Orleans Collection, Acc.#1999.118.8)

Native Son

Clarence Millet was born in Hahnville in 1897. Although he would later receive acclaim as a popular artist, he began his working career as a store clerk in New Orleans. He was encouraged to pursue a career as an artist because of his apparent talent. Millet went on to study art in... Read More


Jean-Noël d’Estréhan de Beaupre (1759–1823). (Source: Louisiana Portraits, courtesy of Marguerite Larue de la Houssaye)

Destrehan

Robin de Logny served as commandant of the Second German Coast (St. John the Baptist Parish) appointed by Governor Alexander O’Reilly.
On January 3, 1787, de Logny contracted with the free mulatto Charles to build his house on this property, now known as Destrehan Plantation. Read More


Jean-Nöel Destrehan. (Photo courtesy of
Destrehan Plantation)

The Louisiana Purchase – 1803

President Thomas Jefferson signed what is now referred to as the Jefferson Document appointing four men to the legislative council. One of the four was Jean-Nöel Destrehan of the German Coast. These men were carefully selected and charged with the task of planning the new... Read More