T radition says that in 1740, that first little chapel, St. Jean des Allemands Catholic Church at Karlstein (on what later would be referred to as Trinity Plantation in Taft), was replaced by a crude log cabin on the east bank and named St. Charles. That chapel continued to serve the spiritual needs of the French, Canadians, and Germans on both sides of the river on the German Coast The 1740 chapel, named “St. Charles,” was built in the area now known as Destrehan. (Sketch by Janis Blair) until 1772 when St. John the Baptist Catholic Church was erected in present-day Edgard. According to historian Dr. Isabel M. French, “that it was built at the present site of the St. Charles Church at Destrehan is pinpointed by the wording in a 1770 grant of land to the Church.” Early church records from 1739 to 1756 reveal the names of French and German families’ baptisms, marriages, and deaths showing that those pioneers were blessed with very large families.

The St. Charles Church cemetery is today recognized as the
South’s oldest German cemetery.

 

 

 

< < Prev

 

 

 

Explore...


 Images

Map of German Coast Settlements, illustration from book Germans of Louisiana The 1723 chapel found in the second old village, Le deuxieme ancient village, about one-half mile from the Mississippi River, which neighbored the first village. (Sketch by Janis Blair)

> > See More


 Related Entries

The Patron Saint of St. Charles Parish- St. Charles Borromeo.

Parish Name Sake
In 1807, St. Charles Parish was named for the Ecclesiastical Parish of St. Charles, which…

 

The 1723 chapel found in the second old village, Le deuxieme ancient village, about one-half mile from the Mississippi River, which neighbored the first village. (Sketch by Janis Blair)

The Catholic Church
In 1723, La Paroisse de St. Jean des Allemands Catholic Church was established at Karlstein…

> > Related Entries



 

 

 

 

 

 

Copyright © This text is copyright material by Marilyn Richoux, Joan Becnel and Suzanne Friloux, from St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History, 2010.