Related Entries

Click on the "Read More" button to explore the relating entries.

Return to Emmergence of Protestant Churches (1859)  

Related Entries relating to "Emmergence of Protestant Churches (1859)"

Painting of the Red Church by Fr.Paret

Fr. Paret’s Watercolors & Journal – 1859

"At the time of discovery of the Paret watercolors, in a proposal to publish the 1859 paintings, Louisiana State University (LSU) Art Museum Director Pat Bacot said the Paret paintings were “the most important single group of landscape paintings done before the Civil War in Louisiana. Nothing is comparable to them. Yet, these paintings have never been displayed in Louisiana. His paintings were subsequently published by LSU Press. His journal..." Read More


Father Joseph Paret

Fr. Joseph Paret Arrives on German Coast – 1848

"Approaching the middle of the nineteenth century, life was good and prosperous for most people in St. Charles Parish. St. Charles was a wealthy sugar parish. At that time, Louisiana supplied the nation with over half of all sugar in American markets—the second most important agricultural crop of the nation. St. Charles had an abundance of sugar plantations lining the Mississippi River— over fifty. For most St. Charles citizens, it was a leisurely lifestyle, where gentlemen of the German Coast wore ..." Read More


1770 Land Grants to Catholic Church

1770 Land Grants to Catholic Church

"…in the year 1770, from Legajo 2357 of the Archives of the Indies at Seville. Grants were made by Luis de Unzaga, Governor General of the Province of Louisiana, from lands in his name, some of which had been formerly owned by others. Each grant is in the form of a Proces Verbal, in French, originally made in triplicate, with one copy for the Governor, one copy to the Clerk (“ecrivain”) of the Cabildo, and one copy to..." Read More


The 1723 chapel found in the second old village, Le deuxieme ancient village, about one-half mile from the Mississippi River, which neighbored the first village. (Sketch by Janis Blair)

The Catholic Church

"In 1723, La Paroisse de St. Jean des Allemands Catholic Church was established at Karlstein. The earlier German Coast settlers worshiped in New Orleans in an old abandoned warehouse that served as the predecessor to St. Louis Cathedral (Church Records of 1720–30). The 1724 census reveals that a chapel had been constructed in a village on the German Coast, which, it appears, could have been..." Read More


The 1740 chapel, named “St. Charles,” was built in the area now known as Destrehan. (Sketch by Janis Blair)

St. Charles Church

"Tradition says that in 1740, that first little chapel, St. Jean des Allemands Catholic Church at Karlstein (on what later would be referred to as Trinity Plantation in Taft), was replaced by a crude log cabin on the east bank and named St. Charles. That chapel continued to serve the spiritual needs of the French, Canadians, and Germans on both sides of the river on the German Coast..." Read More


The Patron Saint of St. Charles Parish- St. Charles Borromeo.

Parish Name Sake

"In 1807, St. Charles Parish was named for the Ecclesiastical Parish of St. Charles, which served its parishioners in colonial times and in succeeding centuries at its present location in Destrehan. Charles Borromeo was born of noble birth on October 2, 1538, in a castle on Lake Maggiore in Italy. His father was Count Gilbert Borromeo and his mother was a Medici of Milano. While studying civil and canon law at the..." Read More


The new St. Charles Borromeo Church was dedicated on January 25, 1922.

The Catholic Church in St. Charles Parish

"For over a century, New Red Church St. Charles Parish was predominantly Catholic. Capuchin missionary priests from France serving the Church of St. Charles were relentless in their pursuit of converting settlers in the colony. The first church to appear was a tiny chapel named St. Jean des Allemands,..." Read More


The new St. Charles Borromeo Church was dedicated on January 25, 1922. In the 1978 restoration and expansion of the church, the old Stations of the Cross were restored and the solid cypress pews were used as paneling and the balcony railing. St. Charles Borromeo Church continues to serve Catholic parishioners in the twenty-first century and is the second oldest church parish in the Archdiocese of New Orleans. Support of clergy and laity over the years has contributed to the preservation of the integrity of this historic landmark.

St. Charles Borromeo

"St. Charles Borromeo Parish celebrated its 250th anniversary on June 3, 1973. Many church leaders and government officials, as well as parishioners, participated in the day’s activities. These included a mass of celebration, a pageant honoring the early German settlers, cajun music, and square dancing. All in attendance enjoyed an outdoor luncheon served under the majestic, historic oak trees ..." Read More


Front Elevation. Father Paret enjoyed gardening and breeding of animals. He
wrote to his brother, “I would like for you to see this big garden and how pleasant and inviting it is. Without false modesty, I think the inhabitants of St. Charles will be jealous of it.” At that time Fr. Paret had planted 488 trees consisting of orange, pomegranate, persimmon, peach, plum, mulberry, crepe myrtle, and magnolia along with althea and rose bushes. (Photo courtesy of LSU Press)

Red Church Rectory Fire - 1877

"Press release of the Morning Star and Catholic Messenger, June 1877 regarding the Little Red Church Rectory Fire: “In 1877, an arsonist set fire to the Presbytery (rectory) of the Little Red Church. It burned to the ground and 150 years of church records were destroyed. The original register from 1739 to 1755 is the only book that survived the fire. Churchwardens continued to collect revenues from farm acreage and to manage ..." Read More


Little Red Church

Little Red Church

"Little Red Church, built in 1806, has been standing now on the 1770 Spanish land grant for 112 years as a landmark for travelers on the Mississippi River. The church was without a pastor for forty-two years due to the 1877 fire, which destroyed the rectory, and the 1890 interdiction brought about by charter and warden conflicts with the archdiocese. But all ..." Read More


<http://www.historyofstcharlesparish.com/media/rokgallery/7/70b00ab9-72a9-4622-f27d-4193b0b33bea/d0572ee6-ae05-4b78-c75b-a25cfe551e7d.jpeg="IMGcode" border="5" alt="Little Red Church" title="Little Red Church" hspace="15" vspace="15" width="150" height="150" align="left" style="float: left; border: 5px solid white; margin: 15px;" />

http://historyofstcharlesparish.com/index.php/19th-century/the-territorial-period-1803-1812/the-little-red-church--1806

"Tradition holds that the 1740 St. Charles log chapel was destroyed by fire in 1806 and rebuilt the same year. It was replaced by a wood-framed structure and painted red. The “Little Red Church” became a famous landmark for river travelers. Passengers going downriver were relieved to see the Red Church because it meant New Orleans was only twenty-five miles away. The crews and roustabouts would be excited because they would be paid off at this point to shouts..." Read More