Related Entries

Click on the "Read More" button to explore the relating entries.

Return to First Parish Newspaper  

Related Entries relating to "First Parish Newspaper"

Georg Michael Hahn

Governor Georg Michael Hahn

"Louisiana’s Constitution of 1864" …“drawn under Georg Michael Hahn’s active direction …Not only abolished slavery and provided for the eventual enfranchisement of blacks … opened the public schools to every child, black and white between the ages of six and eighteen; provided for a progressive income tax; established a minimum wage and a nine hour workday … Louisiana has not had so many honest, highly principled..." Read More


Extraction of St. Charles Parish - Persac Map (Courtesy of The Historic New Orleans Collection, Detail from Norman's Chart of the Lower Mississippi River by Marie Adrien Persac–Accession #1974.1)

The Antebellum Period

"In the eighteenth century, many early colonists were afforded land grants and established plantations and businesses. After the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, many Americans navigated down the Mississippi River in all manner of craft to settle in the Louisiana Territory. By 1804, more than eighty years had passed since the German Coast had been established and the floodgates opened to newcomers..." Read More


(Source: River Parish Focus, January 1979)

Paradis

"Marie Martin Labry, great-granddaughter of John Baptiste LaBranche and sister of J. B. Martin, the “Father of St. Charles Parish Education,” was herself an educator. One stop on her journey through the system was in l914 at the Paradis School built by a Chicago firm called Louisiana Development Corporation. In an article in the River Parish Focus of January 1979, she shared some of her memories with Henry E. Yoes III. “They were..." Read More


An aerial view of the Pan American/Amoco
Refinery in Destrehan.

Plantations to Petroleum - East Bank

"As the centuries changed, so did the landscape of St. Charles Parish. In colonial times, the German Coast was the breadbasket of the colony. The breadbasket continued through the prosperous Spanish era as it did during the plantation era, when the wealthy planters and their landholdings dominated the economy and politics. From the McCutcheons, Destrehans, Rosts, LaBranches, and Trépagniers to the Sellers and St. Amands, the power of land translated ..." Read More


In June 1976 the last full-term elected police jurors were sworn into office in the Old Schexnaydre IGA Building in Taft. Pictured, left to right: Leonard LeDoux, A. J. Faucheux, Steve DeBenedetto, Harney Hooper, and Roosevelt Dufrene. Not shown are Frankie Pizzolato and Freddie Giangrosso. Crowded conditions in the old courthouse forced the police jury to spend several years in the Schexnaydre Building.

Police Jury to Home Rule

"St. Charles Parish, one of the most affluent and progressive parishes in Louisiana, became one of the first parishes to adopt a new form of government. Louisiana’s 1974 Constitution provided to the people of a parish their right to establish a home rule form of government. Home rule would give local government..." Read More


The former slave quarters of Destrehan Plantation became freed Negroes’ homes after the Civil War.

Reconstruction – 1866-1877

"The period from 1865 to 1877 has been called the “Reconstruction Period.” This term implies that building and reconstructing should have taken place. However, little of that occurred or was even addressed by the federal government. In reality, it marked a period of non-violent military occupation. Slaves were freed, the economy was in chaos, and poverty was widespread. Many of the slaves chose to remain on the plantations, residing in the same living quarters working for the..." Read More


Newspaper

Newspaper

"In 1969, Allen Lottinger, a newspaper publisher in Houma, was approached by a west bank businessman looking for a place in which to advertise. He suggested the need for a newspaper to serve west bank communities. Lottinger toured the area and decided the project had possibilities. Allen and his wife Collette established an office for the publication of a newspaper in Boutte in the building previously occupied by the Raven, a popular nightclub on Highway 90. In August..." Read More


Stephen J. Friloux of Ama was typical of many who served and returned to St. Charles to continue their lives. (Photo courtesy of Suzanne Friloux)

World War I

"The United States entered World War I in April of 1917. In St. Charles Parish, lives were turned upside down. Men were called away to duty and families were fragmented. However, the country’s involvement in the war was relatively short-lived. The Treaty of Versailles in 1919 was just one of the peace treaties signed to end the war. Families were then reunited, and people tried to forget about the war and put behind them..." Read More


Source: St. Charles Herald newspaper

World War II

"As early as the middle of 1939, the St. Charles Herald ran stories reflecting the unrest around the world. World War II would live up to its name before it ended in August of 1945 with the surrender of Japan. Battles were fought across the globe—in the Pacific, Europe, Africa, and beyond. The U.S. was on the fringe until the bombing of Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, by the Japanese Army. ..." Read More