Related Entries

Click on the "Read More" button to explore the relating entries.

Return to German Coast Dwellings  

Related Entries relating to "German Coast Dwellings"

Pirogue. (Sketch by Janis Blair)

Breadbasket of the Colony

" On the German Coast during the 1720s, houses were built on both sides of the Mississippi River. The first German settlers continuously supplied the markets of New Orleans. They used the river to transport their surplus produce in small boats or canoes, known as pirogues, returning home through Lake Pontchartrain into Bayous Trepagnier and LeSieur, and other tributaries to the Mississippi River. Ellen Merrill, noted historian..." Read More


Didier Sidney Zeringue (nephew of Charles Troxler, who was the great, great-grandson of Johann Georg Troxler) and his wife, Amelie Troxclair. 
(Photo courtesy of descendent Anne Petit Hymel)

Descendants of Early Settlers

"Almost one hundred years had passed since those first German settlers survived horrific conditions at homeland ports waiting to sail and at sea, many dying enroute by starvation, illness, or later succumbing to the difficult climate after arrival in Louisiana. The new engagés (indentured agricultural workers) were considered habitants (concessionaires) of the company. They arrived debilitated and penniless, received small land grants, and were forced to sell their products to the..." Read More


Matern Family. Pictured are Jacque and Henrietta Scelson Matherne (Matern), descendants of
Johann Adam Matern, one of the original families of the German Coast. Jacque and Henrietta
raised seven sons on Tete de Morte, a privately owned ridge on the lower bank of Des Allemands
about four miles from Lake Salvador, which has almost fallen to erosion. (Photo courtesy of Mrs. Donald (Annabel Matherne) Hogan, Sr.)

Life On The Bayou – 1850s

"There were several settlements along the German Coast that are no longer in existence. A small community was settled in the late 1850s on the east side of Lake Salvador in St. Charles Parish. Early Choctaw Indians and settlers named the village Bois Choctaw which means “Oaks of the Choctaw.” Trapping, hunting, and fishing provided food and livelihoods for all of the families. Some had permanent homes ashore while others lived..." Read More


The Trépagnier Plantation, which later became Myrtleland, was built by Francois Trépagnier. Myrtleland Plantation was sold to Thomas Sellers in 1876 and the area (present-day Norco) became known as Sellers. The Bonnet Carré Crevasse of 1882 brought about the end of the flourishing plantation but the house remained intact. Sellers and neighboring upriver Roseland Plantations
were consolidated to form Diamond Plantation, which was later sold to Leon
Godchaux in 1897. (Sketch courtesy of William E. Riecke, Jr., 1973)

Diamond Plantation

"While he was still a young man working on the Mississippi River, Thomas Sellers met Samuel B. Clemens, who later became the famous writer Mark Twain. Sellers and Clemens shared a warm, long-lasting friendship. Sellers adopted the title “Colonel” from one of Twain’s fictitious characters, Colonel Mulberry. Clemens was a frequent visitor at the Sellers ..." Read More