Related Entries

Click on the "Read More" button to explore the relating entries.

Return to Home Place  

Related Entries relating to "Home Place"

Settlement of Flaggville, drawn by Othello J. Flagg.

Flaggville, Hahnville

"In 1870, Judicial District Judge Othello Jerome Flagg, a Union soldier formally affiliated with the Freedmen’s Bureau, purchased five arpents of land adjacent to the area called the courthouse site. In 1872, Civil Engineer Thomas Sharpe surveyed and with Flagg developed the Village of Flaggville. The Flaggville Colored School, which continued until the end of the nineteenth century, was the last remnant of the town’s name. In 1872, former Louisiana..." Read More


Extraction of St. Charles Parish - Persac Map (Courtesy of The Historic New Orleans Collection, Detail from Norman's Chart of the Lower Mississippi River by Marie Adrien Persac–Accession #1974.1)

The Antebellum Period

"In the eighteenth century, many early colonists were afforded land grants and established plantations and businesses. After the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, many Americans navigated down the Mississippi River in all manner of craft to settle in the Louisiana Territory. By 1804, more than eighty years had passed since the German Coast had been established and the floodgates opened to newcomers..." Read More


An indigo processor. (Courtesy of The Historic New Orleans Collection. Acc. No. 1979.128)

The Culture of Sugar Cane

"Indigo, the main crop of German Coast settlers for many years, had been brought to the colony from the West Indies in the 1700s. This tropical plant produced a lasting blue dye important to the European textile industry and the blue color remains very popular even today in cotton denim fabric of blue jeans. However, today almost..." Read More


Activities and Events

Activities and Events

"The Davis Freshwater Diversion Project was authorized by the Flood Control Act of 1965 (PL 89-298), the Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) of 1974 (PL 93-251), WRDA 1986 (PL 99-622), and WRDA 1996 (PL 104-303). Construction began in January 1997. Located on the west bank of the Mississippi River in St. Charles Parish near the town of Luling, the project diverts freshwater, with its accompanying nutrients and sediments, from the Mississippi River into the Barataria Basin to reduce saltwater..." Read More