Related Entries

Click on the "Read More" button to explore the relating entries.

Return to Major Parish Skirmishes  

Related Entries relating to "Major Parish Skirmishes"

Lieutenant General Richard Taylor, b.1826, d. 1879, was the owner of Fashion Plantation. He was the son of President
Zachary Taylor and the brother-in-law of Confederate President Jefferson Davis. Taylor was a U.S. Senator, 1856–1860;a colonel in the Louisiana Ninth Infantry (appointed by Governor Moore); was
appointed brigadier general in 1861;fought with distinction under Generals “Stonewall” Jackson and Robert E. Lee; was a member of Louisiana Secession Committee and chairman of the
Committee on Military and Naval Affairs;and enacted the Conscription Act to enlist
aid to fight Union troops. He is interred with his wife at Metairie Cemetery.

Ordinance of Secession

"St. Charles was one of twenty-nine parishes that supported secession on January 26, 1861. General Richard Taylor of Fashion Plantation was elected to represent the German Coast. His signature is included among those signing the document with the notation “of St. Charles” directly below. The German Coast was then no longer a part of the United States. For two months the German Coast was part of a new nation named the Republic..." Read More


Flagville Historical Marker

Flaggville, Hahnville

"In 1870, Judicial District Judge Othello Jerome Flagg, a Union soldier formally affiliated with the Freedmen’s Bureau, purchased five arpents of land adjacent to the area called the courthouse site. In 1872, Civil Engineer Thomas Sharpe surveyed and with Flagg developed the Village of Flaggville. The Flaggville Colored School, which continued until..." Read More


The courthouse in 1826.

1826 Courthouse

"The parish seat of government has probably been at its same location in Hahnville since the establishment of the first courthouse in the early 1800s, although no written or pictorial information on that first location has yet been discovered or translated. An 1826 picture of what is believed to be the second courthouse does exist. Early maps and records only refer to the area as Saint Charles ..." Read More