Related Entries

Click on the "Read More" button to explore the relating entries.

Return to Parish Activities in the 80s and 90s  

Related Entries relating to "Parish Activities in the 80s and 90s"

(Publication courtesy of the American Society of Civil Engineers)

Hale Boggs Bridge/Interstate I-310

"In October 6, 1983, life as St. Charles Parish citizens had known it for over 250 years changed forever with the opening of the Luling/Destrehan Bridge. It was hailed as one of the biggest events of the millennium. The new link it provided between the east and west banks of the river spurred residential and economic growth and offered opportunities for cultural and social..." Read More


Jean-Noël d’Estréhan de Beaupre (1759–1823). (Source: Louisiana Portraits, courtesy of Marguerite Larue de la Houssaye)

Destrehan

"Robin de Logny served as commandant of the Second German Coast (St. John the Baptist Parish) appointed by Governor Alexander O’Reilly. On January 3, 1787, de Logny contracted with the free mulatto Charles to build his house on this property, now known as Destrehan Plantation. The plantation is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is the oldest documented plantation house left intact in the Lower Mississippi ..." Read More


Home Place Plantation, River Road, Hahnville was built in 1790. (Courtesy of Gene Yoes)

Home Place

"Many believe that Charles, the same free mulatto who built de Logny’s plantation (Destrehan), also built Home Place Plantation in present-day Hahnville in about 1791 for Pierre Gaillard. The Fortier family contends Home Place was built by their family after receiving a Spanish land grant. The ground floors still have imported Italian marble. As with many other plantations, indigenous material such as birch and cypress were used in construction of the house. It is described..." Read More


Little Red Church

Little Red Church

"Little Red Church, built in 1806, has been standing now on the 1770 Spanish land grant for 112 years as a landmark for travelers on the Mississippi River. The church was without a pastor for forty-two years due to the 1877 fire, which destroyed the rectory, and the 1890 interdiction brought about by charter and warden conflicts with the archdiocese. But all ..." Read More