Related Entries

Click on the "Read More" button to explore the relating entries.

Return to Plantations to Petroleum - West Bank/East Bank Expansion  

Related Entries relating to "Plantations to Petroleum - WB/EB Expansion"

While St. Charles Parish was growing and developing, individuals frequently described the area from an “outside” point of view. J. W. Door, a gentleman connected with the editorial department of the New Orleans Crescent, was one of those detailing parish activities and geography in the mid-nineteenth century. He made a horse-and-buggy tour of a considerable portion of the state of Louisiana during the spring and summer of 1860, publishing letters in the Crescent between April 30 and September 10, 1860. Each letter was signed “Tourist.” – The Louisiana Historical Quarterly, Volume 21, No. 4, October 1938

Tourist’s View of Parish

"While St. Charles Parish was growing and developing, individuals frequently described the area from an “outside” point of view. J. W. Door, a gentleman connected with the editorial department of the New Orleans Crescent, was one of those detailing parish activities and geography in the mid-nineteenth century. He made a horse-and-buggy tour of a considerable portion of the state of Louisiana during the spring and summer of 1860, publishing letters in the Crescent between April 30 and ..." Read More


Courtesy of the St. Charles Herald.

Bunge

"The Bunge Grain Elevator in Destrehan (Modoc) was rocked by two explosions on a quiet Sunday evening in September of 1970. The grain industry, which had been seen as a redeeming force in the parish’s economy in the early 1960s following the closing of the American Oil Company in Destrehan, suffered a setback as a result of this accident. The families of the six employees who were hospitalized as well as the whole community ..." Read More


A look at the Waterford III site formerly the Waterford Sugar Cooperative located on the west bank at Killora. (Photo courtesy of Carol Ford)

Nuclear Power

"Sugar cane production has been a constant presence in the parish since the 1700s. Although it continues on a limited basis in 2010, some of the prime land originally used for sugar cane crops became the site of homes, businesses, and industries in later centuries. One such property was the Waterford Sugar Cooperative, which was located on land first owned by Karl Darensbourg who served as the first German Coast commandant. The land changed hands several..." Read More


Star Plantation.

St. Charles Parish in Spotlight

"Star Plantation on the River Road in Taft was recognized in Grandeur of the South, a publication of the National Historical Society, as an architectural treasure of early America. Star Plantation was owned by J. Levois of Paris, France. Thomas Clark Porteous was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, and managed the plantation of the Levois family. Porteous lived in New Orleans, but frequently visited the parish to make sure that all ..." Read More


Prospect Plantation was built circa 1815 by Edgar LaBranche who later expanded the plantation from the Mississippi River to Lake Pontchartrain.

Rise of Plantations

"Mozella Plantation—Hicks Lewis Youngs and brother Elias moved to the German Coast from New York City in 1851. The Youngs brothers acquired Joseph Marioneau’s property through a series of buyouts and established a sugar and cotton plantation, which they named Mozella after Elias’s wife. Hicks and his wife, Frances Culpepper Youngs, established their plantation close to Boutte, which follows the Old Spanish Trail, where ..." Read More


Cistern. (Courtesy of Janis Blair)

Infrastructure

"The transition of public roadbeds from dirt to clam shell to gravel to asphalt or concrete in the first half of the twentieth century facilitated the establishment of new businesses, industries, and residential developments. Major changes occurred in the everyday life of the citizens of St. Charles Parish! Natural gas contracts with private companies and an electricity franchise with Louisiana Power and Light Company were approved by parish officials. In the 1930s natural gas, then electricity, became available..." Read More


The Trépagnier Plantation, which later became Myrtleland, was built by Francois Trépagnier. Myrtleland Plantation was sold to Thomas Sellers in 1876 and the area (present-day Norco) became known as Sellers. The Bonnet Carré Crevasse of 1882 brought about the end of the flourishing plantation but the house remained intact. Sellers and neighboring upriver Roseland Plantations
were consolidated to form Diamond Plantation, which was later sold to Leon
Godchaux in 1897. (Sketch courtesy of William E. Riecke, Jr., 1973)

Diamond Plantation

"While he was still a young man working on the Mississippi River, Thomas Sellers met Samuel B. Clemens, who later became the famous writer Mark Twain. Sellers and Clemens shared a warm, long-lasting friendship. Sellers adopted the title “Colonel” from one of Twain’s fictitious characters, Colonel Mulberry. Clemens was a frequent visitor at the Sellers ..." Read More


An aerial view of the Pan American/Amoco
Refinery in Destrehan.

Plantations to Petroleum - East Bank

"As the centuries changed, so did the landscape of St. Charles Parish. In colonial times, the German Coast was the breadbasket of the colony. The breadbasket continued through the prosperous Spanish era as it did during the plantation era, when the wealthy planters and their landholdings dominated the economy and politics. From the McCutcheons, Destrehans, Rosts, LaBranches, and Trépagniers to the Sellers and St. Amands, the power of land translated ..." Read More