Related Entries

Click on the "Read More" button to explore the relating entries.

Return to Red Church Rectory Fire - 1877  

Related Entries relating to "Red Church Rectory Fire - 1877"

Painting of the Red Church by Fr.Paret

Fr. Paret’s Watercolors & Journal – 1859

"At the time of discovery of the Paret watercolors, in a proposal to publish the 1859 paintings, Louisiana State University (LSU) Art Museum Director Pat Bacot said the Paret paintings were “the most important single group of landscape paintings done before the Civil War in Louisiana. Nothing is comparable to them. Yet, these paintings have never been displayed in Louisiana. His paintings were subsequently published by LSU Press. His journal..." Read More

The 1723 chapel found in the second old village, Le deuxieme ancient village, about one-half mile from the Mississippi River, which neighbored the first village. (Sketch by Janis Blair)

The Catholic Church

"In 1723, La Paroisse de St. Jean des Allemands Catholic Church was established at Karlstein. The earlier German Coast settlers worshiped in New Orleans in an old abandoned warehouse that served as the predecessor to St. Louis Cathedral (Church Records of 1720–30). The 1724 census reveals that a chapel had been constructed in a village on the German Coast, which, it appears, could have been..." Read More

The 1740 chapel, named “St. Charles,” was built in the area now known as Destrehan. (Sketch by Janis Blair)

St. Charles Church

"Tradition says that in 1740, that first little chapel, St. Jean des Allemands Catholic Church at Karlstein (on what later would be referred to as Trinity Plantation in Taft), was replaced by a crude log cabin on the east bank and named St. Charles. That chapel continued to serve the spiritual needs of the French, Canadians, and Germans on both sides of the river on the German Coast..." Read More

The Patron Saint of St. Charles Parish- St. Charles Borromeo.

Parish Name Sake

"In 1807, St. Charles Parish was named for the Ecclesiastical Parish of St. Charles, which served its parishioners in colonial times and in succeeding centuries at its present location in Destrehan. Charles Borromeo was born of noble birth on October 2, 1538, in a castle on Lake Maggiore in Italy. His father was Count Gilbert Borromeo and his mother was a Medici of Milano. While studying civil and canon law at the..." Read More

The new St. Charles Borromeo Church was dedicated on January 25, 1922.

The Catholic Church in St. Charles Parish

"For over a century, New Red Church St. Charles Parish was predominantly Catholic. Capuchin missionary priests from France serving the Church of St. Charles were relentless in their pursuit of converting settlers in the colony. The first church to appear was a tiny chapel named St. Jean des Allemands,..." Read More

The new St. Charles Borromeo Church was dedicated on January 25, 1922. In the 1978 restoration and expansion of the church, the old Stations of the Cross were restored and the solid cypress pews were used as paneling and the balcony railing. St. Charles Borromeo Church continues to serve Catholic parishioners in the twenty-first century and is the second oldest church parish in the Archdiocese of New Orleans. Support of clergy and laity over the years has contributed to the preservation of the integrity of this historic landmark.

St. Charles Borromeo

"St. Charles Borromeo Parish celebrated its 250th anniversary on June 3, 1973. Many church leaders and government officials, as well as parishioners, participated in the day’s activities. These included a mass of celebration, a pageant honoring the early German settlers, cajun music, and square dancing. All in attendance enjoyed an outdoor luncheon served under the majestic, historic oak trees ..." Read More

Front Elevation. Father Paret enjoyed gardening and breeding of animals. He
wrote to his brother, “I would like for you to see this big garden and how pleasant and inviting it is. Without false modesty, I think the inhabitants of St. Charles will be jealous of it.” At that time Fr. Paret had planted 488 trees consisting of orange, pomegranate, persimmon, peach, plum, mulberry, crepe myrtle, and magnolia along with althea and rose bushes. (Photo courtesy of LSU Press)

Red Church Rectory Fire - 1877

"Press release of the Morning Star and Catholic Messenger, June 1877 regarding the Little Red Church Rectory Fire: “In 1877, an arsonist set fire to the Presbytery (rectory) of the Little Red Church. It burned to the ground and 150 years of church records were destroyed. The original register from 1739 to 1755 is the only book that survived the fire. Churchwardens continued to collect revenues from farm acreage and to manage ..." Read More

Little Red Church

Little Red Church

"Little Red Church, built in 1806, has been standing now on the 1770 Spanish land grant for 112 years as a landmark for travelers on the Mississippi River. The church was without a pastor for forty-two years due to the 1877 fire, which destroyed the rectory, and the 1890 interdiction brought about by charter and warden conflicts with the archdiocese. But all ..." Read More